At Gray Animal Hospital, we know that not all pet health situations demand a trip to the vet. Sometimes a quick check-in with your vet is all you need. That’s why we’re pleased to now offer veterinary telemedicine through the TeleTails app! Download the app to your smartphone and you can connect with your veterinarian from anywhere, whether you’re settled in at home in Zion, IN, or traveling with your furry companion.
Our telemedicine services are for current clients only. This is because we need to have a strong veterinarian-client-patient relationship before we can effectively rely on telemedicine.
How Do I Use Telemedicine?
We perform our telemedicine services through the app, TeleTails. Here’s how you can get started using it:
- Download TeleTails from the Google Play or Apple Store (please visit TeleTails if you need help with downloading and setting up your account)
- Enable notifications
- Create your profile
- Enter code: GRAY
- Start a consultation!
Consultations do come with a fee and you’ll be able to set up your payment information through TeleTails. Additionally, please keep in mind that we are only available for consultations during our regular office hours and some evening hours. If we are unable to connect with you right away, we’ll arrange a time that works for with your schedule!
In What Situations Should I Use Telemedicine?
Telemedicine is super convenient for quick questions and mild concerns regarding your pet’s health. It is not appropriate for emergency situations. If your pet needs urgent care, please call us immediately at (224) 304-0668.
Common situations where telemedicine can help include:
- Sneezing or coughing more than usual
- Other mild symptoms such as unusual stool samples or minor nasal, aural, or ocular discharge
- Prescription refills
- Behavioral changes
- Post-surgical recovery check-ins and questions
- Ongoing treatment check-ins
- Hospice care
If we cannot resolve your concerns through telemedicine, we may request that you make an appointment to visit the hospital. Here, we can run the appropriate diagnostics and do a full physical exam to get to the bottom of the problem.
Requirements for Using Telemedicine
In order to provide your pet with the best care possible, we do have some restrictions for using telemedicine. These include:
- You must be a current client of Gray Animal Hospital.
- Your pet must have had an annual wellness exam within 12 months of using the app.
- New clients will need to schedule a wellness exam before being able to use the app.
Should you have any questions or concerns about using TeleTails and connecting with us via telemedicine, don’t hesitate to contact us at (224) 304-0668.